Senioritis Sweeps Westhampton Beach

Casey DeCaro, Staff Writer

According to Wikipedia, senioritis is a colloquial term mainly used in the U.S. and Canada to describe the decreased motivation towards studies displayed by students who are nearing the end of their High School Career. In Westhampton Beach High School, seniors are struggling in a fight against this ailment. Though not all seniors may know it,  a bad case of senioritis may lead to some pretty harsh consequences.

“Laziness, lack of motivation, distaste for schoolwork, stuff along those lines,” Lexie Pedneault, a normally very hard-working student, describes senioritis, “and I absolutely have it.” Pedneault claims that she often puts off work until the night before its due date, or even sometimes the morning that it is actually due. Though her procrastination may make things stressful, Pedneault still manages to hand in her work, being aware that there might be repercussions if she does not.

If you are a senior who has already applied and got accepted to college, congratulations, but be warned: declining grades due to senioritis may result in a letter from your college, telling you that you may not study there anymore. “It’s kind of terrifying actually,” says Pedneault, “that’s why I still hand things in.” “It’s the fear that keeps you going,” says Liv Dodson, another senior at WHBHS. Remember, acceptance “givesies-backsies” are fair game in the college world.

However, even if senioritis cannot be conquered, it can be treated. Setting aside study and homework hours for yourself can motivate you to get work done. Try leaving your phone in another room, and refrain from peeking at social media. Make sure you plan ahead of time and remember your deadlines. Try not to let work pile up. “If you have a deadline at the end of the week, make it due in the middle of the week, so the fear will help you get it done,” Pedneault suggests. “Basically senioritis is something that’s always been there, it’s just more apparent,” Dodson explains. It is said that the only cure is graduation, so start treating this sickness quickly!