Freshman Feelings and Senior Speculations

Casey DeCaro, Staff Writer

High school is said to be the best four years of a person’s life, but everyone’s experience is different, especially as they grow from freshman to senior year. High school takes some time to adjust to, but it later becomes something easy and natural. Freshmen and seniors at Westhampton Beach High School share their experiences as some plan for the future of high school and others reminisce about the past.

Most freshmen are excited by their first few weeks of high school. It’s something new, something different, and it definitely gives a sense of maturity. Although exciting and new, it can also be a little frightening. “It’s really big compared to East Moriches,” says Madisan Florian, freshman at WHB, “I was like really lost.” Though the size of the school may be intimidating at first, Florian, along with the rest of the freshman class, adjusted within no time. “It’s a whole new school,” says Lisbeth Garcia, another freshman, as she talks about how unnerving it is going into a new school with new people. However, most seniors seem to have a different view. Jason Maschke, a senior at WHB, says the scariest part about high school is “going home and showing my parents my grades.” Perhaps the first three years have allowed the senior class to forget how scary high school is when you first start. Even though seniors and freshmen seem to disagree about the most frightening parts of high school, the general consensus about the best part is the same: the freedom.

As high school progresses, it becomes more and more understood by the students. Some things known to students now might not have been so obvious on the first day. Often times, students imagine how different their first day of high school could have been. Garcia says she would tell herself “not to be nervous and just be myself.” Good advice, Garcia. Staying relaxed is key to having a successful first day — and a successful high school career (though not too relaxed…a little stress about class work never hurt anybody). Alyssa Probst, another freshman at WHBHS, however, would have like to tell herself “to grow up a little and not be as… afraid as I was.”

High school is crazy, in the simplest terms. It is a hurricane of stress and excitement and new things. Though days can feel repetitive at times, there is always something new around the corner. When Maschke was asked if he would miss high school, like most seniors, he responded with a solid “not at all,” but all graduates know that no matter who claims they won’t miss it, they always do. Maybe ten days after graduating, maybe ten years after graduating, it will be missed. That hurricane will be looked back upon, and one thousand memories will stand out, and each and every one will be missed. So seniors, make it last. Freshmen, good luck, have fun, and make the best of being a hurricane.