Big Things for Bella Blanco

Junior Isabella Blanco celebrating after scoring the game winning goal. Photo courtesy of Ron Esposito.

Aine Byrne, Staff Writer

The Westhampton Beach Hurricanes defeated the Garden City Trojans at the Long Island Class B Championship in six overtimes with an amazing last play by Bella Blanco.

Junior Isabella “Bella” Blanco has been on the Hurricanes lacrosse team for two years . She is an all-star defender who is quick on her feet and throws amazing checks. But she turned into an attacker for the last seconds of the final overtime.

Blanco got the ball from teammate Mia Failla after goalie Maya Farnan had cleared it. She ran it all the way down the field and started to head to the goal. As she ran through the eight meter, the Trojans fouled her on the second hash to the right. Bella at this moment felt “complete and utter disbelief.”

She thought, “I really needed to score this goal because it was most likely the only goal I would score all season.”  This would be her first goal of this season and her second of her high school career.

After many overtimes, Bella decided to step up and be the one to win it. Scoring the game winning goal of a game is something she has been manifesting since the beginning of playoffs.

Joy overfilled the stadium after the goal went in. The crowd was roaring and the Hurricanes team all surrounded Blanco. Bella said, “I am just so happy. Like I didn’t know it was possible to be this happy.”

Teammate, Lily Berchin said, “Bella told me on Friday in school and at practice that she was going to score the game winning goal and no one was going to stop her. No one really believed it, but she proved everyone wrong.”

This was another monumental accomplishment for the girls varsity lacrosse team. Last week on May 25th, 2022 the girls won their first ever Class B County title and have now moved on to winning the LIC. The girls team is now headed upstate to Cortland for the Class B State Championship.

Looking forward to States, Blanco hopes to play really good defense and take home the state title. This up and coming weekend she hopes to have fun with her teammates and make good memories.

She said, “I hope to continue the streak of making history by winning states with my team and having the best trip ever with my best friends.”

We wish the Hurricanes the best of luck!