WHB Girls Basketball Hopes to Bounce Back

Returning players Lily, Allie and Olivia

Sarah Gormley, Staff Writer

The Westhampton Beach Girls basketball team is back for the 2021-22 season with hopes to reclaim their county title. 

In the 2019-20 season the team had an overall record of 22-3, winning the county championship, and securing a promising game in the Long Island championship. However, the LIC game was cancelled due to Covid.

“The cancellation of the LIC broke my heart,” said Senior Olivia Rongo. “When something that a special group of people had been working towards for a long time gets taken away because of something uncontrollable, it is extremely hard.”

The pandemic continued to affect the following season, as the team only played eight games, and finished with a record of 4-4. After a shaky modified season, Coach Peters has big expectations for the team. As the new season arrives the team prepares for their first game of the 2021-22 season.

Over the past two years a great number of impact players have left the team. Top players Belle Smith and Layla Mendoza graduated in 2020, followed by five seniors in 2021.

Despite the loss of players, the team still has a strong lineup for the season to come. Seniors Olivia Rongo and Lily Berchin are leading forces on the court, followed by other varsity returners who are expected to make an impact on the court this season.

Rongo, a four year varsity player, sees potential in the team, hoping to make it back to the playoffs. “The team as a whole this year has been working really hard in practice and have already grown together, and it’s only been one week,” she explained. “I think if we keep practicing hard and bonding, we will get far in our season.” The team also welcomes some new players to the varsity squad, freshmen, sophomores and juniors. 

The ‘Canes hope to start the season off right.  Come support them at their next home game on December 3rd vs. Sayville. The schedule can be found here.