The Hurricane Eye

Finally, February Break

Mrs. Sedano's trip to Argentina and the Iguazu Waterfalls

Julia Smith, Staff Writer

February break is just a few days away, and having nine days off from school gives faculty and students a chance to escape the cold and travel warm.

Language teacher Señora Sedano has traveled near and far, but her favorite trip was to China, which she took in March of 2016, while out on maternity leave. She would highly recommend for students to travel here to experience a totally different culture from ours.

Mrs. Sedano has also done a lot of traveling with her three year old son, Lincoln. When he was 18 months old, their family traveled to South America, visiting Argentina and the Iguazu Waterfalls, one of the largest waterfall systems in the world. Mrs. Sedano plans on vacationing to Eastern Europe over this summer.

Last Christmas, sophomore Luke Farnan visited Nosara, Costa Rica with his family. Luke loved how “chill and laid back” the trip was, which made it so memorable. Although Luke took a warm vacation, like many prefer, this February Luke is choosing to travel cold and is skiing in Breckinridge, Colorado.

The best place frequent traveler, sophomore Hanna Tufano, has ever traveled to is Turks and Caicos.  She visits the island annually with her family and friends. Traveling warm has always been a favorite of Hanna’s because she loves going to the beach.  Hanna hopes to travel to Florida next.

Before Hurricanes Irma and Maria destroyed much of the Caribbean last year, the British Virgin Islands was the best place to travel in the Caribbean according to U.S. News.  Currently, BVI is still in the recovery process, as are Puerto Rico, St. Martin, Anguilla, Turks and Caicos, and many other islands.

As tourism is essential to these local economies, the Caribbean tourism industry says that returning travelers will provide the support needed for affected nations to rebuild once they are ready to receive visitors.  Remember to research an island’s current status before booking.

Some WHB students are unable to travel during February break. Having a playoff game, match, or a meet during the break stops students from traveling because they are unable to miss their commitments. If you are one of the student-athletes in WHB, make the best of your stay-cation and catch up on some much needed sleep!