New Year, New You?

New Year, New You?

Kelsey Jordan, Staff Writer

About 45% of Americans make New Year’s resolutions. A Journal of Clinical Psychology study found that people who make resolutions are 10 times more likely to change and improve their behavior than those who don’t. The bad news is that short-term urges can trump long-term plans. Another Journal of Clinical Psychology study reports that 54 percent give up on their resolutions within six months. According to Time magazine, the most common broken promises that people commit each year include, eating healthier and dieting, being less stressed, learning something new and volunteering.

Here are some helpful tips to consider before making your resolutions.

First, focus on one resolution at a time. When you have one goal in mind you’ll be able to focus more and have a better chance for success. Another piece of advice is to start your resolution as soon as you can. This is a more efficient way to achieve your goal. The longer you wait the less likely you are to effectively achieve your goal.

Junior, Emma Youngs, says that her New Year’s resolution is, “To study more for the ACTS/SATS and to spend more time with family and friends.” Sophomore, Paola Lopez says that her New Year’s resolution is “focusing on getting healthier and bringing my family closer together and trying to be more successful in making my dreams come true.” Sophie Cohen, a junior hopes to, “start eating healthier, and start juicing and start doing my homework on time but also to create time for other stuff and enjoy my life.” Don’t be like the 54% that give up but instead focus on one goal in stead of many and prosper your resolution for 2016.