Student Spotlight: Grace Donovan

Abby Kilroy, Staff Writer

Hard work really does pay off for junior Grace Donovan who works hard day after day in the dance studio to be a multiple time championship qualifier for Irish step dancing.

Four to five days a week, Grace is in the studio dancing for Mulvihill-Lynch dance school. Two days a week she is practicing at home, and once a week she competes at a local feis, which is a small dance competition to practice for a real one. Although this takes up most of her time, Grace has accomplished what many only dream of.

“Grace puts tons of work into her dancing and it shows. She practices almost everyday and it definitely shows off,” said one of Grace’s good friends Madi DeGroot. 

Open championships, which is the highest level an Irish step dancer can reach, regional championships, and national championships are Grace’s biggest accomplishments. She has been working for these titles since she was a little girl. She began dancing when she was two, but began Irish step when she was nine. Ever since then she dreamed of reaching these accomplishments.

The dancing is just one part of the competition; the costumes also play a big role. “I have to wear a wig that is like a million pounds”, grace said. The dresses are also special; they come in straight from Ireland. “I have to wear a dress that I just got brand new from Ireland and I’m in love with it!”

Unsure if she will continue her dance career in the future, Grace definitely wants to continue until she finishes high school. After that, if she stays home for college she will continue, but if she decides to go away she will not. Whatever she decides, she will be able to finish her career knowing that all her hard work has really paid off.