WHB’s New English Teacher: Ms. Schmieder

Ms.+Schmieder

Ms. Schmieder

Sal Donofrio, Student Editor, Staff Writer

Ms. Schmieder is WHB’s newest member to the English department this year. She brings a lot to the table and is very enthusiastic about her new job teaching 10th and 11th graders.

Ms. Schmieder knew she wanted to be a teacher when she was in kindergarten and an English teacher when she was a freshman in high school.  When she was in school, her favorite teachers were her history teachers because, along with English, one of the topics that interested her was history. She found that they were the friendliest outside of school and were “down to earth and approachable.”

Her lifelong goal was achieved when she graduated Stony Brook University and began teaching in 2010. However, being interviewed and getting the job is a rigorous and difficult process.

Her advice for those that may encounter the process, she said, “It is important not to be your own worst critic, be positive.”

Ms. Schmieder has realized that over the past eight years that there has been more of a move to integrate technology and the classroom, she said, “There is more of an effort to incorporate tech that kids use as opposed to keeping it outside the room.”

While she always wanted to be a teacher, she said that if she could have one other job other than English teacher she would likely have become an author or editor, but would find that she would’ve liked to become a travel writer or TV critic.

Additionally, she is new to the WHB concept of students receiving laptops, and that “it enables students to find their own answers.”

The books she is looking forward to reading this year is The Catcher in the Rye and The Great Gatsby.

Outside of school she enjoys running and training for races, and being outside with her two-year-old chocolate lab, Guinness. In her past, she has traveled to a variety of places such as Poland, Austria, UK, France, Spain, Greece, Norway, Sweden, and Italy. By far, her favorite place was Florence, Italy and she enjoys traveling with her husband.

At home, her favorite type of food is Japanese, specifically sushi along with her favorite restaurant currently being Francesco’s Italian Restaurant.

The WHB faculty and students welcome you and are wishing you good luck!