Picture Perfect: Finbar Smith

Reily MacDonald, Staff Writer

Gap years, by definition, are years typically known as academic or travel years taken by a student between secondary schools and a higher education, such as college.  According to the article, “10 Reasons You Should take a Gap Year,” students who take time before college will “realize what [they] love before [they] start studying.”

Colleges such as Harvard have seen increases in the amount of students enrolled who partake in a gap year between lower and a higher education. Some choose to take a gap year to perform better in college, while others use the year to realize what they want to do in life.

Senior Finbar Smith has been contemplating a gap year and decided to travel the country.  He felt taking photos throughout the U.S at national parks and beautiful sites was his best option.  He explained, “I am taking a gap year to build my portfolio as a photographer.”

Finbar won the Digital Literacy award from Mr. Erickson for being a unique and impeccable photographer. Mr. Erickson simply put it, “Finbar is not only hardworking, but he shows actual heart and interest in the work that he is performing for the school, which is why he won my award.” Finbar’s work speaks for itself and his love and passion for photography is only assisting his work in the field and at school.

He will be traveling the country in his car which will serve as his means of transportation along with his tent as his “house” and other camping equipment for survival.  He said, “I will be traveling to most of the national parks in the United States except Hawaii and Alaska.” The year off for Finbar is going to be an extremely exciting and a substantial adventure.

There are no down sides to gap years except the fact that while on a gap year, traditional education does not occur. A period of time that consists of one pulling their life together and to come closer to finding what you want to do for the rest of your life is a good idea and it is something to be considered. Traveling the country in a car and visiting all of the national parks will only be the beginning of Finbar’s long career as a photographer.

Good luck on your exploration Finbar, and may photography guide you to success.