The news site of Westhampton Beach High School

The Hurricane Eye

From Hurricanes to Red Dragons and Panthers

top picture: Hanna Mancuso and Jillian Gallovic
bottom left: Juliet Clarke and Hanna Mancuso 
bottom middle: Kaitlyn Brierton and Luke Dalton 
bottom right: Tristan Hogan and Hanna Mancuso

top picture: Hanna Mancuso and Jillian Gallovic bottom left: Juliet Clarke and Hanna Mancuso bottom middle: Kaitlyn Brierton and Luke Dalton bottom right: Tristan Hogan and Hanna Mancuso

Arsh Naseer, Staff Writer

From Hurricanes to Red Dragons and Panthers, many of our seniors are attending the same school: SUNY Cortland and High Point University.  They shared the reasons behind their choice of college.

For some being committed to SUNY Cortland came down to their advanced academics and sports program. And for others attending High Point University gave them an opportunity to learn more about the business world and progressive technology. I got a chance to speak to most of these seniors.

Jillian Galovic, Tristan Hogan, Hanna Mancuso, Alison Davis, Connor Brierton and Juliet Clarke will be attending SUNY Cortland this upcoming fall. Jillian, who will be majoring in physical education and health, said her main reason for attending is that it’s affordable and has the major she’s interested in. She also added, “GO RED DRAGONS!!!”

For Tristan, the decision to attend Cortland came down to its “really competitive lacrosse team and good academics.” Tristan wanted to thank Coach Hoyt for helping him believe Cortland was the best choice. He also wanted to give a shout-out “to my boy Chris Merle, he really grinded and forged a path in Westhampton. Together we shined and grind to become the ballers we are today.”

Hanna Mancuso says she always wanted to attend Cortland since she was in middle school. She added how beautiful the campus looks in the fall and during the snowy days. Alison Davis also had a similar experience and said she fell in love with the campus. Alison also likes how her major, Biomedical, is small, allowing her to become closer with the science department.

Luke Dalton, Kaitlyn Brierton, Olivia Cassara, Cassidy O’Brian and Bronte Merrell all had one thought in common when they decided to choose High Point University. They all were astonished over the scenic campus and supportive staff. Luckily for me, I got an opportunity to speak more about why this school was so special to them.

For Luke, the choice was simple, he could easily see himself as a Panther for the next four years. He also wanted to add that Tristan Hogan promised to visit every Thursday and that his best friend Kaitlyn Brierton will only be two dorms over.

Kaitlyn’s choice was also simple.  “I knew right when I stepped on campus it was the right school for me.” Olivia added  about the staff, “They all accepted to help you, they all had a helping hand reaching out. You could tell by walking in there they weren’t going to let you fail.”

Cassidy’s story is a bit different than the rest; She talks of how her brother recently attended there and how whenever she came to visit she knew she wanted to go there as well. Bronte advised underclassmen: “definitely check out High Point in your college search; it’ll definitely be worth it to visit North Carolina.”

No matter what path you choose, Red Dragon, Panther or anywhere else, you’ll always be a Hurricane, and this will always be your home. To the class of 2017, good luck and we’ll miss you.