Mr. Leogrande: The Lion of WHB

Ben Zimmer, Staff Writer

It’s Game Day for the Westhampton Beach Hurricanes. Everyone’s ready to go, uniforms are on, cleats are laced up, but there are some unanswered questions: Who was the one who taped everyone up before the game? Who got everyone stretched out and iced up for pregame? And who is that guy waiting on the sidelines with the med kit?

All of these things are done by just one man, and his name is Scotty Leogrande.

Mr. Leogrande has been a CPR/First Aid Instructor, Physical Education teacher, and athletic trainer here in WHBHS since 2002. However, most don’t know how or when the “Big Lion”, as he’s known by students, began his career in helping students and athletes alike. He said, “My father turned me on to the profession of athletic training, I had always wanted to be a teacher, and as I was preparing for college I knew I wanted to do something within the healthcare field.”

He got his Bachelor’s Degree in 1995 from Ohio Northern University in Sports Medicine, and later his Master’s from Adelphi for Physical Education. He attributes this professional success to “my father, who always pushed me to further my education and pursue a long-term teaching and athletic training career.” These factors helped cultivate a now-favorite of students and fellow teachers in the WHB community.

Scotty is always doing something, whether it’s teaching or instructing, but what he enjoys about his job the most is “interacting with students, student athletes, coaches, and teachers.”

His presence in school is felt by students and his colleagues alike, for instance junior Shelby Meduski says that Scotty “Is one of the best teachers I have had in high school. He lightens the mood and is always a ‘beast’. Also, Scotty is amazing at what he does and is the best trainer east of Manorville.”

She continuted, “He’s assisted me through all of my injuries, from being my trainer to my physical therapist. His assistance through my injuries has helped me bounce back to my sports at full force. Best knee and ankle taper I have ever met. It has been an honor to be his secretary. Overall, Scotty is an outstanding person who has made my high school experience so much fun and I am going to miss him dearly when I graduate.”

Whether he’s on the sidelines, preparing athletes before a big game, or teaching students how to properly administer CPR, Mr. Scott Leogrande brings all he has for the WHB community. The WHB community will forever be in his debt and will always appreciate what he does for everyone here.