Spring Concert Recap

Chamber Choir performs in the spring concert

Kristen Brockmiller, Staff Writer

In the school auditorium on the evenings of May 24th and 25th, all the musical groups of WHBHS came together to perform in the spring concert.

The Spring concert is always bittersweet because it is the seniors’ last concert. This year, it was also Mr. Rubinstein’s last concert until he comes back in two years.

The seniors and Mr. Rubinstein wanted to bring their all to their last concert so there were many unique surprises compared to other concerts in the past. There were two concerts, the symphonic concert on Tuesday and the ninth and tenth-grade concert on Wednesday. On Tuesday, the Chamber Singers performed “Idumea”, a spiritual song. The piece involved Bennett McCombe on the violin and previous chamber singer alumni who joined together to sing with the current members. It meant a lot to all the chamber members to have the alumni come and make the Chamber Choir performance amazing. It was nice for old friends to be reunited.

One of the symphonic band surprises was when the band played an all-percussion piece called the “Roll-off-Rhumba,” featuring Nick Arpino on the drum set. Senior Jack Moore says, “My favorite song was the percussion piece from the symphonic band because Nick Arpino was awesome on the drum solo and it kind of highlighted the seniors.”

After, the band the choir sang “Rogers,”a song written partly by Sean Doyle, the son of music teacher Mrs. Doyle. Junior Sophie Cohen says, “We had Sean Doyle come in and conduct us for one rehearsal and I think that helped us a lot because it is a difficult piece. It’s a very interesting piece and he had us realize what he wanted with the piece and how he wanted us to sing it.”

The last group who performed was the symphonic choir and the band. They performed a patriotic peace to honor the at the time upcoming Memorial Day. The choir and the band hadn’t performed a piece together for a long time. This was a surprise and a memorable experience for both the audience and the performers.

On Wednesday the concert choir, recorder consort, and the concert band performed. Many aspects of the concert were a success. The recorder consort conducted by Mr. MacDougall provided a twist to the ordinary selection of groups. Sophomore Sydney Sheren thoroughly enjoyed the concert band she says, “I liked the first song that the band played, which was “Fate of the Gods.” I liked the tone and I thought that the band did a great job playing it. My brother also had a solo in it.”

The spring concerts were amazing. The performers should be proud of what they were able to accomplish with their time and hard work.