Wrapping for a Cause

In the library at the Student Government event.

Kristen Brockmiller, Staff Writer

On December 14th the WHBHS Student Government went to the library after school to wrap presents to give to charity.

Before the wrapping, Student Government adopted two families from Adopt-A- Family. Adopt-a-family helps underprivileged families celebrate the holidays.  Student Government raised money to donate to the cause.

The Polar Bear Plunge was one of the events that raised a lot of money, which went toward the presents. Other events also raised money. As Caroline Keating says, “Throughout the whole year we do bake sales and things like that for all of our fundraisers.”

After the fundraisers, the families gave Student Government their kids Christmas list. Catherine Penn says, “We get sheets of what the family requests for their gifts and we try to stay as true as possible to their wishes.” The sizes, and the kid’s favorite colors are also included because most of the presents are clothes such as gloves, jackets, and boots.

After receiving the lists, Catherine Penn and Caity DeCara went shopping, and bought many gifts.

After shopping, it was time to wrap. All of the Student Government members arrived in the library and they were all excited to get started. Then the wrapping began, and all the members of Student Government were very proud of their generosity toward their community. “The whole club loves this event because it helps us help the community we live in and impact change on our surroundings,” says Catherine Penn.