HUGS For Everyone

Sabrina Lochren, Staff Writer

“HUGS is an organization that focuses on bettering the community by educating teens and people in the community to live a drug and alcohol free life,” says Ariana DeMattei, sophomore at WHB and current HUGS member. Later this month they have a retreat at Camp Quinipet on Shelter Island.

HUGS is a great way to go out and be active with friends while learning life skills and how to live a drug and alcohol free life. They have an upcoming retreat this January 22nd to 24th. Atilla Gulnar, junior at WHB and current member of HUGS, said “Hugs stands for Human Understanding Growth Services. The program is a weekend seminar that occurs four times a year at camp Quinepet on Shelter Island. It’s a weekend full of amazing people and tons of fun, and it’s an amazing experience.” It’s a fun way for teens to stay phone, drug, and alcohol free for a weekend and hopefully realize how much fun you can have without them, and hopefully continue to not need to use them later on in life as well. It also teaches good social skills and life lessons. Plus you get to hang out with your friends all weekend while making new friends as well.

Gulnar said, “If you are just considering going, just go for it. You won’t regret it. The program taught me life lessons that really changed me for the better and I met the most amazing friends there. All of my best friends are from HUGS. If you would like to join, and are able to attend the next seminar bring in the application quick so you can ensure a spot.” So if you are debating to join next year, you should, and enjoy having fun filled relaxing weekends with your friends being phone, drug, and alcohol free.