Winter Fun in WHB

Nyarie Mason, Staff Writer

What’s the number one common activity to do during the winter? Winter is a joyous, unforgettable season. Memories filled with fun and traditions during the holidays. What a wonderful time to spend around family cuddled up by a fire or watching movies while drinking hot chocolate.

Westhampton Beach has a variety of different activities that most like to do. Finding the most common activity won’t be hard to when there’s tons of residents and local students around who travel. Spending time with family in a traditional way is one of the common ways to enjoy the cold. According to Jackie Ortiz, a senior at Westhampton Beach High School spending time around the tree is an every year tradition with her family. She says, “Around 12 am before Christmas day, my family sits around the Christmas tree and exchange gifts and celebrates together. We have a nice family reunion for the holidays.” However, there are families who don’t have family traditions but still have some fun. Tyisha Mitchell, a graduate from Westhampton Beach High School, says she does not have traditions but still manages to make wonderful winter memories when her family visits. Tyisha states, “We don’t have any special traditions,” she continued, “…we have family scattered all over the place so normally we stay locally at my grandfather’s.”

Even though some may like certain extreme winter activities like snowboarding and skiing…others may not. Jackie would rather watch Netflix and drink hot chocolate than go skiing or snowboarding or even visit a mountain. She says, “I’m not into those things at all!” She continues as she jokes, “I don’t want to visit a hospital any time soon.” However Tyisha is the complete opposite. She implied it’s on her list to try to do new things, she states, “Unfortunately, no but, they are on my list of things to definitely try.”

Winter has so many cold memories! I bet the first thing that pops into anyone’s minds are the snowball fights, sled rides, crazy snow piles? Am I right? Of course! Tyisha shares a crazy memory she had of her previous winter. She says, “I think the funniest thing I’ve done in the recent winters was ride down a hill on a little rocking horse. I didn’t notice there was a jump at the end of the hill. I think we can all put together the end in that story.” Jackie shares a memory she had in her previous winter, of her neighbor throwing snowballs at her. She states, “I had a snowball fight and on the way to my house my neighbor hit me with a snowball.” She adds, “It was an epic snow ball fight!”

Although winter is a cold season, whom do you call to hangout in this freezing weather? Some might stay in and stay snugged or some may plan a huge snowball fight. Tyisha says, “Usually I hang out with my friends and family that don’t mind getting a little cold and who like to still try to do new things like when we were kids.” Tyisha sounds like she’s prepared for the cold weather. She adds, “Honestly, I can go outside in 2 or 3 layers. The cold doesn’t bother me unless I’m inside.” However Jackie, would rather stay inside and occasionally hangout. She says, “Sometimes my family and friends.” She also adds,  “I’d rather snuggle under my blanket doing my favorite things…watch movies and drink lots of hot coco.” Sounds like it’s warm!

Lastly, Tyisha and Jackie state their absolute every year winter favorite things to do. Tyisha states, “Well the new winter thing is Netflix but I don’t mind going outside and building an igloo or throwing a couple snow balls. My next adventure is going to be trying out snowboarding.” However Jackie says, “I like to read, drink hot coffee, draw, bump to some music and still watch some movies.” Winter is always made for some fun! Who are you most like, Tyisha Mitchell or Jackie Ortiz?