Track Team Dominates

Track Team Dominates

Craig Connor, Staff Writer

This year at WHBHS there were countless athletic accomplishments by both teams and individuals. However, the dominance of the track program here at Westhampton Beach in the winter and the spring is truly remarkable.

The 2015-2016 was absolutely incredible for both the boys and girls track program here at Westhampton Beach. The boys and girls track team combined featured all-county athletes in a multitude of different events. With strong leadership and hard work, the track program has represented Westhampton Beach very well in every event they participate in.

The girl’s track team dominated both the winter and the spring. The girls placed 3rd at divisions during the outdoor season and 3rd at small school counties in the winter. The girls 4×4 team of sophomore Kayla Berman, senior Nora Murphy, senior Grace Gilbakian and junior Jenny Jordan was declared all county. They were practically unstoppable winning the Milrose Games 4×400 and not only winning the Yale Classic 400 but also breaking a record almost 25 years old. The girls 4×4 qualified for nationals in the winter. Sophomore Kayla Berman said,” I will always remember going to nationals and having fun with the team.” Junior Sarena Choi broke Westhampton Beach records in the long jump, triple jump and 100m dash. Choi was declared all county and earned herself a spot in states later this year. Junior Kelsey Jordan brought home

Junior Sarena Choi broke Westhampton Beach records in the long jump, triple jump and 100m dash. Choi was declared all county and earned herself a spot in states later this year. Junior Kelsey Jordan brought home some serious hardware this season. Her accomplishments in the 1500 meter race-walk included all state and all county honors, 3rd at New York State Championship, 1st at New York Relays, 3rd place at the Penn Relays and 1st place at divisions for the second year in a row. Senior Kiera Kelly was declared all-state in the high jump during the winter. She went to indoor nationals this winter and is scheduled to compete in nationals this spring. She even placed first in the high jump during the Loucks Games. Biology teacher here at WHB and track coach for the past 30 years Mr. Broich said, ”One of my favorite moments this year was watching Kiera Kelly win the Loucks trophy.”

The boys track team featured several standout competitors as well. This spring, senior Mynor Martinez was declared all-county in the pentathlon. At divisions, Martinez won the 110 meter high hurdles in a blazing 16.36 seconds. Also at divisions, sophomore Laurence Barr-Forget won the pole vault event with a height of 12’6”. He said,” The goal next year is to win everything and go to states.” Junior Jack Ryan won the 1600 and the 3200 meter at divisions possibly earning himself a spot in states. The boys 4×400 meter relay team consisting of Nery Luna, Jack Ryan, Peter Sullivan and Chris Razzano broke the Westhampton Beach school record with a blazing 3:28:97. The list of track programs achievements this year goes on and on. Senior Khai Henderson said, “The track team is a very close group of kids.”

The 2015-2016 season was a historic season for the track program here at Westhampton Beach. Records were broken and medals were awarded. Next year, both the boy and girls track team will look to pick up where they left off.