WHB Golf Drives to First League Title in Over a Decade

Craig Connor, Staff Writer

The WHB Varsity Golf Team made history this fall, winning their first league title in the last 12 years, their first championship after a decade of hard work and dedication.

Boasting an 11-1 record and a co-league title to boot, the Varsity Golf Team has had a stupendous season compared to years past. The team’s only loss was to the co-league title winners, East Hampton. When WHB Golf played East Hampton with home course advantage they won, but when WHB Golf played on East Hampton’s home course they lost. These were two very talented yet evenly matched teams. The interesting fact is that East Hampton has won at least a share of a league title the last 14 of out 15 years while Westhampton hasn’t brought home a league title in golf since 2003.

So, you may ask yourself what is so exciting about golf? Golf is a truly unique sport when compared to sports like lacrosse, football, soccer and baseball. Golf is exciting in its own way. Coach of the Varsity Golf Team for the last 7 years, Mr. Musumeci said, “Golf is a sport of gentlemen.  There is an etiquette that goes along with the sport and the players police themselves and their opponents during the match.” Golfers are just as competitive as athletes in other sports, but the manor in which the game is played adds an entirely new element. Golf can also be played throughout a person’s entire life. Other sports are very hard on the body, and because of this, they limit the age of its players. However, golf can be played for as long as the person chooses. Mr. Musemeci said, “golf is a life-long sport that can be played by everybody.  I love the fact that in the sport of golf you are challenged mentally each and every time you play.” The younger you start playing the better you will be. Golf is easy on the body and helps to sharpen the players mentally as well. WHB Varsity Golfer and sophomore at Westhampton Beach High School Jack Tiska said, “The key to being a golfer is having a strong mental attitude.” Golf rewards those who are mentally sound and teaches golfers that positivity and confidence equal success. Golf is a truly remarkable sport that deserves more respect in the sports community and here at Westhampton Beach High School.

While golf is a somewhat individual sport of proper sportsmanship and etiquette there is also a fun and inviting team atmosphere. WHB Golf has had a lot of fun on their way to 11 wins and a league title in 2015. Mr. Musemeci said, “Our team is very close as a group and every time we faced adversity we rose to the occasion and performed well.”

On October 29, 2015 The top six WHB Varsity Golfers competed for a spot in the county tournament that is held in May. The golfers who qualify include Bobby Joyce, Will Reed, Thatcher Cord, and Chase Rubio. Only 20 golfers from the ‘Canes league were able to qualify for counties. The entire team also won the county qualifier and will compete in May for a county championship. Although WHB Golf will lose several seniors in Bobby Joyce, Will Reid, Chase Rubio and Kyle Attar there are younger golfers like Thatcher Cord, Jack Tiska, Jake Viera and Cole Federico who are ready to continue the quest for another league title in the future.