Winter Concert: The Aftermath

Winter Concert: The Aftermath

Anna Taylor, Staff Writer

Normally a Winter Concert can be…rough around the edges: there are new comers and veterans, not yet accustomed to singing together as a group. However the Winter Concert for the 2015-2016 school year pleasantly surprised teachers and parents alike. Boundaries, with its unique use of mixing bowls and scrap metal, created a memorable percussion undertone to the styling of the symphonic band.

Considering how audiences don’t know the songs as well the kids do, it would make sense that the “Frostiana seemed long,” to some adults however Choir Student Sydney Welch said she enjoyed the, “Robert Frost poetry and I thought it sounded nice.” Lauren Natoli also favored the Frostiana for the “poetry behind it.” As a student—especially one who is taught by Mr. Rubinstein, Welch holds credibility in her statement that the Festival Sanctus was performed the best, due to the choirs ability to hold rhythm. For her the overall experience of the concert was “performed really well,” Natoli found the experience “fun” especially Noel, since “we got to dance” Natoli-also a choir student, felt the symphonic choir performed the Sanctus (Byrd) best, “our cut offs were really good.”

While waiting to enter the auditorium, audience members could enjoy the Art Show in the Auditorium lobby. Showcasing the artwork of students in all art programs, from the contour drawings of hands to the detailed paintings of specific places in and around the schools.

This concert was really a victory for the teachers. To start the school year, with chorus, band, and artists on such a strong point shows the talent of the students and teachers alike. Its safe to agree with Welch’s comment, “Mr. Rubinstein deserves every award.”