Life After the Hurricane

Elise Ferreira, Staff Writer

It has been said that, retirement is life’s way of telling you that you are too old and too weak, but that’s not the case for former Biology teacher, Mr. Colvin.

Mr. Colvin retired from WHB last year. When asked about his choice to retire he said, “I retired because I really got tired of waking up at 5:00 am and driving 35 miles to and from work, but when I got there, the fun began.”

Mr. Colvin, known as “The King of YouTube”, was, and still is a student favorite. He didn’t just teach Biology, but he taught life lessons as well. Sophomore Juliet Tomaro remembers learning from Mr. Colvin to “always be nice to everyone because he did really nice things for everyone.”

Mr. Colvin said that retirement has been treating him well. He shared, “Life has changed a lot since retiring, especially because Mrs. Colvin retired too.  When working, our schedules were hectic and busy. Weekends were crammed with things needed to be done, my wife frequently became sore because I would not spend, what she thought, was sufficient time with her doing family stuff, because I had a mental list of things to do in my mind.”

He continued, “All that has changed. We are both much more relaxed and enjoying more time with each other. We now have a famous motto between us–there’s always tomorrow. The big change is we are relaxed.  I can go out for a walk for an hour if I want, go fishing with my friends if I want, go out for breakfast with Mrs. C if I want with no alarms going off.”

Mr. Colvin went to Concordia University in Chicago and got an advanced degree at Iona College. He taught for a total of 41 years, the first 8 years in the Bronx. He had a hard time leaving the classroom, so he now subs in Middle County District for upper level sciences once or twice a week.

“I want to close by saying I miss you kids!”  He said, “I fell in love with working with you darn kids.”